Sunday, May 22, 2011

Griefing



Griefing:
  • Purposefully shooting or otherwise sabotaging your teammates in an online game.


This is one of my major pet peeves and why I can't stand playing games sometimes. Griefers exist in abundance in the game I play, Heroes of Newerth. I don't want this to be a League of Legends versus Heroes of Newerth debate. I'll remove any post dealing with such things.


Now, if you aren't aware of what the game is, it's a competitive game consisting of two sides, Hellbourne, and Legion. The side you get is random each match. It puts players in a 5v5 match, or a 3v3 match depending on the map. Each player picks a hero, out of say 80, which each have strengths and weaknesses, and different roles such as support, tank, and carry (Leads the team to victory (your quarterback))

Now in this game, death is a severe punishment for your team. It gives your enemies a hefty sum of gold, experience, which they can spend on leveling up and new items. At the same time, you lose gold, and can't gain experience until you respawn.

The game keeps track of every stat you can think of, such as kill death ratio, average wards placed, average assists, average game length, and so on, and gives you a Public Skill Rating (PSR) based on your wins and losses and etc. Every player starts at 1500 PSR and you can lose/gain up to 20 PSR a match.

If someone doesn't like you, they can grief your team, by "feeding" the other team, with kills, such as running into their carry to give him a kill, and eventually allowing him to solo our entire team. All of this can be sparked by a simple little disagreement such as "So and so is better for the team then the hero you want" or not swapping them someone they want.

As much as I hate to say it..HoN's community is trash. There is only a few decent people left, amidst all the trolls and douchebags.


But aside from all this, brings me to my main frustration.

HoN turned 1 last week..and with it, it brought a free week.

Any one and everyone could play HoN...and it was a nightmare. Sure, don't get me wrong, it's great to have new players, ones that want to learn.

but then there's the ones who don't care about the game, and in doing so, ruin it for others. They intentionally make one team lose a game, and ruin the stats of players who have played close to 1000 games.

I don't see what satisfaction people get from watching the world burn so to speak. Why ruin things for others, just for your enjoyment? They only get away with it because they hide behind a mask, that no one can uncover. No one will ever know who they are, and I guarantee if people knew who they were, they would act differently.

I'm done ranting because I'm out of time.

Please do everyone a favor and don't be a griefer.

27 comments:

  1. Great post! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a theory, that's a fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont understand why they do it either

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh the internet is such a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only mess around with my teammates when they really Really RRRRREALLY deserve it :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hate people that do this ruins the game! i dont see the point in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, I still have yet to understand WHY people do this! good post, followed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Griefing annoys the fuck out of me as well, but it can sometimes be pretty funny:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice read, thanks to you i wont be one

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did the term "griefing" develop as part of the gaming community's lexicon?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well the only way to keep good stats is playing with trusted player, don't random it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, it's annoying as hell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely agree. I can't stand that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally agreed, especially when it comes to mingling in games. Cool blog going to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HoN for the win, but i always get mad playing this game, you'll always find a retarded team to ruin your day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun at times but definitely annoying. Although I was playing tf2 and my whole team medic rushed on a capture the point. We capped both points, it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love HoN. but i hate people who do this. biggest dogs ever

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see griefing a whole lot when I play minecraft. That sucks that games like that have people ruin them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice concept, I really agree.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love griefing on Minecraft when the server allows it. I don't know why, I just do.

    ReplyDelete